1.28.2008

Two Interesting Stories...

Let me tell you about them. I'll start with the shorter one.

I just had a lady come in to my office. She had a thick accent that sounded Russian. We chit chatting and I asked where she was from. She said Michigan. That's not what I meant, but being that I have family there I asked where. She said Plymoth.

"Never heard of it." I said.

"Really?" She replied, "Everyone in the world has heard of Plymoth."

"Michigan?" I asked.

"Yeah, you learn about it in school. You know, the pilgrims."

Oh.

"You mean Massachusetts," I said.

"No, Plymoth, Michigan. By Detroit. It's very famous." She said.

"The pilgrims landed in Plymoth, but it was in Massachusetts, not Michigan." I explained. "Think about it. How would they have reached Detoit by ship?"

"I learned about it in school. I know what I mean." She told me.

I let her have her way. Plymoth, Michigan. Site of the pilgrim landing.

Second story.

Yesterday, I had a temp help me out with all the traffic at our models. She told me a story that has movie written all over it.

She was the cheerleader/homecoming queen sweetheart. He was the rulebreaking badboy. He was a senior, she was a junior. Night of prom he knocks her up but she doesn't tell him. After graduation, he takes off for the neon lights of Vegas and gets into showbiz. She raises his kid for two and a half years on her own till she marries Steve, a big italian guy from an even bigger family. Steve raises the boy as his own till four years ago, when Steve passed away. 35 years of marriage. One day she's on the internet and decides to join Classmates.com. Posted on her school's site is a poem with her name on it. Badboy, now businessman in Las Vegas, posted it two weeks earlier. He's still in love with her. She flies out to see him and shows him a picture of her now 40 year old son. She tells him the truth. They get married and live happily ever after.

Bada bing. Ain't love grand?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously she take TNT history

Anonymous said...

And obviously I didn't take TNT English...that was supposed to say obviously she DIDN'T take TNT History.

Anonymous said...

plymoth, michigan. site of the pilgrim landing...priceless.

Mrs. Jake said...

Crap! All those years of teaching it was Plymoth, MA! Good thing I read your blog.

Seriously, how did you not laugh? Was it a set up for Candid Camera?