1.17.2008

No Politics At The Table...



So, I figured mentioning politics in my last blog would bring some attention. So I figured I would clarify why I like Barack Obama.

First of all, he is for ending the war in Iraq as quickly as possible. I think the war in Iraq has distracted us in our pursuit of fighting al qaida who has now gone into Pakistan and made things very uncomfortable for us all (in case your unaware, they just shot someone for running against the current president who has already run his limit on terms according to their constitution, but decided he'd run again anyway.)

On that note let me just say, I don't think there are any good solutions to Iraq. There's only worse and awful. If we deployed the entire army to Iraq (which wouldn't actually be possible) maybe we could squelch the sectarian violence. Maybe. But for how long? I think the inevitable civil war is going to happen. And I think it best if we weren't there to shape it. I love the end story that Phillip Seymour Hoffman tells Tom Hanks character in Charlie Wilson's War. (I won't ruin it for you if you haven't seen it) I think the best we can say is, "We'll see."

Second, he's for affordable health care. He's not for universal health care like his other democratic opponents. He's for making sure that health care is there if you want it, but not forcing you to take it. Coming from a family that never had health insurance, my parents have paid the burden to make sure our teeth didn't fall out from rotting and that the doctors would put my leg back together when I was hit by a car. As such, they haven't been able to enjoy the kind of lifestyle they would've been able to making the kind of money they made. About a sixth of Americans are in this boat. And of that, 9 million of them are children. Children who can't afford to go to the dentist and have their teeth cleaned or treat cavities. Don't at least they deserve that? Lest you say he'll do all that by raising taxes, he actually has an aggressive plan to go after the insurance providers and drug makers to end the gouging that has occurred here because they can get away with it to help lower costs. Yesterday he said that maybe he'll just have a giant round table discussion with patients, nurses, doctors, insurance providers, drug makers and advisers and get to the bottom of it. Oh, and broadcast it on CSPAN so that everyone can see what is causing the increasing costs of health care coverage.

Along those lines, he's also for preventative health care. He said yesterday, one idea is to make joining a gym tax deductible. Or going to a dietitian. So that the gov't won't penalize you for doing your part in keeping America healthy. I like that.

He's is one of two candidates (with Huck being the other) that when dealing with immigration has had the thought to work with Mexico to strengthen their economy. Where have I heard that idea before? Oh, I know, ME! (see bottom of post for what I'm referring to)

Two years ago, before he was running for president, I heard him talk about alternative energy. We are too dependant on foreign oil. Everyone knows that. But truthfully, the republicans are too far embedded with big business to be able to do anything about it. But Obama wasn't afraid to get up in a speech in DETROIT, MI and say that emission standards and fuel efficiency standards must change. That takes courage. His plan is to have all cars to 40 mpg by 2020. That's change my kids will see. Also, his plan calls for 25% of all power consumed in the US by 2025 to be renewable (solar, wind, geothermal).

There are more issues I agree with him on. There are several I disagree with him on (abortion and raising the minimum wage come to mind). But I agree with him the most. Yes, he'll probably raise taxes (He is a democrat after all...), but with the polarization that has begun in American politics, he's wanting the most to be in the center. He isn't perfect, but I think he's the best choice.

And lest anyone think I'm going to hell, I'm still a republican technically. I only have to switch over Saturday so I can caucus for him. I'll switch back.

Maybe.

16 comments:

matt said...

Jake,

You are one of the nicest men I know. It is a pleasure being your friend. I don't think you're overweight. Your blog is fun.

Matt

matt said...

Now that that's out of the way, my real comment:

Jake, you're not going to hell becuase you like Obama. You're going to hell becuase you play beer pong.

Matt

ryan said...

Jake I am for Obama also but for different reasons than you have listed here. My question to you is why not Huckabee? Huckabee basically agrees with all your reasons for supporting Obama (except the Iraq one, although we might not know for sure since he made his "arrogant bunker" comment). In addition you get a candidate who is pro-life. Not to mention you then do not have to go to hell for voting democrat!

The Anonymous Human said...

Huckabee's health care plan isn't as good. Plus, Iraq is kinda a huge issue. Huck falls with the other republicans of no time table. And like I said before, there isn't a right answer, there's just not as bad as the other one answers. So, bringing our troops home is the best plan.

About the pro-life issue, there appears to be only one of the three "liberal" judges who might die or resign in the next 8 years (Stevens). The 6 or so "conservative" judges don't appear to be headed anywhere in the near future. So the abortion issue really isn't what is driving this election in my opinion.

Plus Obama is most for raising teachers salaries and getting away from NCLB. I'm for that. Huck still clings to it a bit.

Like you said in your blog, people shouldn't be one issue voters. I'm trying to stretch myself. That being said, if Huck is our president, I'd probably be okay with that too.

Chad French said...

I heard Tony Jones say that it is a sin for Christians to register as a Rep. or a Dem. but should rather be independent. I’m not calling it sin but I think he’s on to something. I’m thinking about changing my registry to Independent from Republican…though I will typically vote Republican on the federal level.

matt said...

Chad, Tony has the right heart, but the statement wreaks of political ignorance. I would say it is more of a sin to find your identity in either being a Republican or Democrat. But, in many cases, registering independent can prevent you from certain forms of political activism. And in a representative democracy, political activism is the bedrock of the system.

The Anonymous Human said...

I'd say it's a sin to not visit jake's blog everyday...

Just kidding. I think Matt makes a good point about not registering. If you are an independant you can't caucus or vote in the primaries for anybody. But, I wonder how many people are out there that more and more lean toward an independant candidate? I wonder if we'll see a third party in our lifetime.

Chad French said...

Personal, I would be willing to give up some of my rights (as an independent voter) in order to make a theological statement (as a citizen of the Kingdom of God). Some leaders at my church have confessed that if a Democrat where to gain the White House then that would be God’s judgment on America. I have to blow my whistle on that one and call “foul” and maybe worse, blasphemous. I think Jake would agree with me, if you are a white Christian living in central Indiana it assumed that you vote Republican, therefore, God is pro-Republican. That’s dangerous! And if I could get a few more Christians to rethink their political position by me personally registering independent…I think my sacrifice would have been well worth it. In away, I see it putting my money where my mouth is.

matt said...

Chad makes a great point. Part of a representative democracy is that each voter gets a "voice", if you will. This "voice" is either of agreement, dissent, or protest.

Here are the three issues by which I consider a vote (expressing my "voice"):

1. Conscience/moral issues (what I believe is best for the country based off the Bible)
2. What is efficacious (in this case I won't make moral absolute votes, or to say I won't be a single issue voter if that vote won't have much meat behind it. Ex. I like Ron Paul's issues, but since I don't believe he can accomplish them, even if elected, then I cannot vote for him based off my conscience).
3. Change/voice (if I don't believe I can accomplish either a effective - in legislative terms - vote that my conscience is okay with, I seek to vote based on making a change. For example my buddy Aaron is voting for Ron Paul based on this reason).

I believe this can be considered when registering as well. In this case, your voice is intended for a different audience. Good stuff.

matt said...

Um, so maybe this is why certain good hearted mid-westerners have a hard time with Democrats like Obama:

http://www.firstthings.com/blog/2008/01/22/abortion-and-obama/

How say you Mr. Keck? Your candidate considers a woman's right to choose, and I quote:

"what is at stake in this election".

Personally I have been leaning towards him for the past several weeks, but now you can consider me officially off the Obama fence!

matt said...

sorry, here is the link correctly

Abortion and Obama

The Anonymous Human said...

Like I said in the post, it appears (barring some unforseen accident) that the only supreme court justices that could die or resign in the next 4-8 years are already liberals. We've had a pro-life president and a conservative court for about three years now and haven't overturned Roe V. Wade.

The only power the president has towards the pro-life/pro-choice debate is nominating a supreme court justice. But even then, congress has to vote on it. So more than a pro-life president, we need a pro-life congress. That is more important and more "at stake" being that no senator is up for election in Nevada this go-round, there really isn't much else I feel we can do.

I disagree with him on this issue. But I would disagree more with a canidate who supports the war in Iraq. That we can do something about.

Mrs. Jake said...

I'm not going to argue about your choice for president. I basically think they all suck. I think we should "clean house" and put reagular people with common sense in the seats of our nation's capital. But anywhoo... I have a problem with "affordable health care". I live in an area that is taken care of by the government. And all I see are Habitat houses with really nice cars infront of them and satalite dishes on the sides of their houses. These are the same people that won't pay the 25.00 for their child's school fees OR pay for their lunches, but they can have a cell phone. My point is this. The government really shouldn't be taking care of anyone. People are so dependent upon handouts, they don't have to do anything. We are raising a generation of handout children. What can you give me? I think we should take healthcare out of the equation. Prices are so high for a doctors care because they have to pay for the healthcare in their offices. Many times, the doctors don't get their money from the TENcare patients (the government money owed.) What would happen if doctors went back to charging for services rendered? ALmost like an oil change? 50.00 for a check up, 25.00 for a shot, etc. What if we took the government out of the equation? Would the world fall apart? And I know there are kids in the equation, and it's sad their parents take better care of the the dog then they take care of their own flesh and blood. But what is the church's role in all of this? And why aren't families taking better care of each other? Or what if we took care of the kids, but not their parents. OR what if we came up with a trade off service. The parents clean government buildings, pick-up trash, volunteer in the hospitals...etc. in exchange for doctor's services for their child. This way nothing is "given" but earned? The problem with that is no one wants to work for their food anymore. And why should they? It's given to them. Okay, off the soap box. Maybe you should run for president?

Chad French said...

Perky for President...I'd vote for her.

Anonymous said...

I know I am about 30 years late on the debate and probably no one will read this, but I think Carrie has a good point. Keep the government out of our business. I see the stuff she is talking about living in Baltimore. Government controlled healthcare of any sorts won't work. whether you call it "national healthcare" or "affordable". Same difference, its government controlled and it stinks.
Second, who doesn't want the war in Iraq to end? That's not the issue. The issue is let's finish the job. If we can get a country up and running that is democratic in a muslim world, then perhaps others will follow suit. We are changing things. We are making a difference. Talk to the troops who are over there, you'll realize good is being done. But if set a time table, we might as well send personal invitations to every terrorist and invite them back to the country. We might as well face it. We are going to be at war some place probably for the rest of our lives. We must finish what we started.
Now onto Mexico...help them out i don't care, but put a wall up to keep them out. Illegals no matter what country, do not belong in the U.S. If they want to live here do it the proper way.
Jake...your president of choice will raise taxes, alternative healthcare will never materialize, and government controlled healthcare will never work.
He might be a good guy, but his policies stink. Its all about bigger government and that never leads to good things.

-Joey

The Anonymous Human said...

Well, I always read comments on my blog, so I'll respond to yours.

First, to blanketly say gov't controlled healthcare won't work is a fallicy. It works in canada and the UK. But, that's not what Obama is shooting for. "Universal" and "Affordable" aren't the same thing. "Affordable" is still privately ran with the gov't stepping in to stop the high price gauging. One reason I like that as apposed to "universal" is it still rewards breakthroughs in science. I.E. if you can find a cure to cancer, you're gonna be a rich guy. Just because something is gov't controlled doesn't mean it stinks. Personally, I'd rather have a national military than state militias. Hmmm...maybe that's a bad example.

Iraq. Like I said in my blog, I don't think there's a good solution to Iraq. Why is it our duty to establish democracy in an islam country? "We might as well face it we're going to be at war somewhere the rest of our lives." No, I don't face it. We are supposed to be the light of democracy to the world. A beacon of hope. Not a bully with a big stick. I don't accept that.
Mexico. You think a wall is gonna keep illegals out? Besides (WARNING: OBVIOUS JOKE COMING) who's gonna build it? Why not make the citizenship process easier so these people can get REAL social security numbers, pay REAL taxes and contribute to society.
What do you care about raising taxes? You're a pastor. You don't pay taxes anyway.