6.26.2007

Sweet Home...Tennessee?

Home.

It conveys so much into such a little word. Four little letters, but it conjures giant memories.

I grew up in Kokomo, IN. I didn't move away till I went to college, but even then I went home whenever I could. Then, when I was 20, I moved to Las Vegas. About six months later, my parents moved to Knoxvegas, TN.

So now, when I go see my parents, I'm not really going home, in the true sense of the word. Yet it feels like home. When people ask, I say I'm going home.

I think because home isn't a house. Home isn't even a city. Home is a feeling, a state of being.

Next week, I'm going home to see my family. There will be a family reunion with lots of cousins and aunts and uncles and people that I'm supposed to know but frankly have absolutely no idea who they are. There will be lots of food and I will probably eat as much of it as I can. Because that's what you do when you go home.

Where is home to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the "hot-out-of-the-oven" cinnamon rolls your momma makes just for you!

Betsy said...

you forgot to say that we're going to be there. what are we? chopped liver?