6.12.2007

Bring Me To Life...

I drive about 30 minutes everyday to and from work. Most of the time, I like to listen to podcasts on my ipod. Especially sermons because they are usually around 30-35 minutes so it almost works out perfect. I listened to a sermon this morning by Mark Driscoll that was really, really good.

Like jelly on your biscuits and gravy good.

Here is a quote I wanted to share:

"The goal of religion isn't to recieve from God, but to receive God."

I really like that thought. I have several friends who are struggling right now. A couple of them are Christians. A couple of them aren't. And in each situation, from the outside, I can look and see that it is going to take Jesus to fix it. One's an addict dealing with a crack addiction. One is going through the roughest situation outside unfaithfulness I have ever heard of in a marriage. When I see this, I can only believe that Jesus is the answer. I know that sounds trite and cute, but I have tried to answer these things on my own before, and I know the results then.

So what can we do? Trust in Jesus. And when that's not enough? We pray to Jesus. And when nothing happens? We live for Jesus.

My friend Bill has a saying that changed the way I look at my relationship with God. He said, "It's not about God trying to change us from bad to good, but bringing us from death to life."

I can't change the way people live their lives. But maybe I can change the way they view God. Then maybe, just maybe, they will let God give them life.

3 comments:

TomS said...

I heard that sermon and loved it too!

Anonymous said...

Jake, the housing busiess doesn't deserve you!

Anonymous said...

(excuse me, "business".)