4.03.2007

In The Year 2000...

When I was growing up, all I ever wanted to be was a rock star (except when I was like in first grade...I wanted to be a doctor so I could look at naked people). Anyway, when I hit high school, some friends of mine put together a little ditty called "Last Exit." We weren't any good, but we were the only local band around for miles, so we kinda won the war of attrition if you know what I mean. It was great though, we made a little E.P. that we sold to our parents and grandparents. We played a couple shows and the occasional CIY. But our crowning acheivement was by far the time we opened up for Skillet. At the time, Skillet was an up and coming christian artist who rocked your face off. We had the concert at our high school and since my church was the one putting it on and I was the one organizing it, I got to choose the opening act. It just so happens Last Exit was free that night so we put together a 20 minute show. There was one song and one song only when I got to leave the dungeon of my drums for the glory of the microphone. It was to make it's debut at the Skillet show. Over 800 people packet the careteria/theater at my high school and cheered me on as I sang Blur's "Song 2." Somewhere there's a pic of me in front of this enormous throng of adoring fans. I love that pic.

After the concert we took Skillet out to the local Applebees for some fine dining. I remember sitting and talking with their then-guitarist Ken. He told us if we really wanted to make it we needed a hook. He suggested we name our band " ". (I only put the quotes in for effect. He didn't make the little gay finger quote things, he just didn't say anything.) He suggested getting a bunch of fruit of the loom white T's that we could sell with our band name and logo on them which would be nothing. I remember it vividly only because it was so funny.

Well, fast forward ten years and we are in the middle of the emo world. Make's me laugh. This whole story is a lead up to a clip I found from some comedy show in Austrailia. Enjoy.

2 comments:

bill said...

okay...i've watched this clip 3 times now. it is hilarious. betsy and i went to the decemberists concert the other night. we were surrounded by these people. they are the present day 'goth kids'...since those are pretty much extinct.

Chris and Rachel said...

Thats freaking great. "Word Document", genius. I love it.

Whats up with you man? I want to come to Vegas and play craps.

Tell your wife hello. Eat some In and Out for me, oh my gosh, I would cry if I had In and Out now. Cheers.