4.19.2007

I Wonder For Elysium...

I miss drumming.

I was never very good at it, but it wasn't really my fault. The couple of guys at our church that formed a little band were in need of a drummer. They had the equipment but not the body. They had been hired for a show in Ohio and needed someone. So I volunteered and learned in two weeks how to lay down the skinny. I must say it wasn't bad for only two weeks.

The problem is, I never got any better.

I took a personality test one time. I guess it wasn't so much a test as it was a profile. Cause you can't fail. You can only find out you're insane. Anyway, I found out that I enjoy new challenges but get bored easily. It's why I always want new cars. I'm already tired of the one I got.

Looking back, I guess it makes sense. I had a sort term goal and met it. After that, what's to learn? But sitting at my desk today, listening to a little Coldplay made me long to get back behind the skins. Drums are a funny thing you know? I learned to play guitar when I was 16. Of course (once again) I should probably be a lot better than I am now 11 years later, but at least it's something I can pick up everynow and again when I'm at home and bored. But to be a drummer requires an investment. You have to find a place and time to practice when you won't annoy the crap out of everybody. Plus, it's not like you can just bang on any ol' set of pots and pans. Getting a drum set is quite expensive.

So, I'll probably just sit here and miss it. No big deal. I'll get bored with missing it in a few minutes and decide to do something else.

Like write a blog.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm learning how to be a drummer!!!! im actually going to lessons right now....see ya!

The Anonymous Human said...

Make sure you learn the all important "duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh" fill. Just ask bill. He'll show you.