4.16.2007

I Might Be Slow, But I'll Make It...

One thing that really sucks about not being in full time ministry is just the feeling that you're out of it. There is a whole nother (is that even a word?) cuture that is out there and when you aren't a part of it...well, you aren't a part of it.

It's like when your friends go see a movie in the theaters and you wait till it comes out on DVD. And then you try and bring it up in conversation.

"So...how about "The Usual Suspects" huh? Never saw that coming."

"What? That was like ten years ago."

Anywho, I felt a bit like that yesterday. My church showed a video that Bill Hybels taped with Bono. Now, before you all criticize my speed at coming to the table, let me just ask you a question: Did you know there is a new kind of epoxy for all your retro anchor bolts? You didn't? Man, you're slow.

So, I'm sure this video has been out for a while, but I just saw it and I want to talk about it now. There was so much on there that I identified with. So much that convicted me. And so much that made me love my God. If you haven't seen it yet, I have no idea how to get ahold of one except to pray to Bill Hybels (he is right under Jesus after all) and maybe he'll put one under your pillow when you lose your next tooth.

Something on there that really gripped me was when Bono was talking about christian art. He said that chrisitan art seemed to lack the tension of living for Christ but failing miserably. I thought it a beautiful way of saying christian music sucks. It really caused me to wonder about the whole business side of christianity. It seems in a lot of areas, the only reason we have it is because the product wouldn't survive in the 'real' world without it.

I'm probably rambling here, and this might not make much sense to anyone else, but it furthered my philosophy that it just makes sense to be a christian where you're at with what you're doing. I mean, if christian music was any good, it wouldn't have to survive on christian book stores for most of it's sales or christian publications for most of it's advertising. If it really encapsulated the struggle of being holy in an unholy world, of searching for something beyond, of dealing with everyday life issues, maybe, just maybe, it could make it without the help of the christian market.

Kind of like...oh...I don't know...U2.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

i absolutely love your last paragraph. great stuff to ponder.