2.07.2008

So I May Be Late To The Party...

This is really my first year being heavily informed during a political race. I was snooping around on cnn.com, and I came across the delegate count. Now, I understand the delegate process. I get that we are actually a republic and not a true democracy (at least, in the truest sense of the word). It's why someone can win the popular vote but lose and election. I understood that after Bush/Gore/Florida debacle.

But here's what I don't get. In the Democratic party, there are "Superdelegates". These delegates are made up of various ranking Democratic National Committee members. It includes all democratic govenors, senators, and congressmen. It also includes all former democratic Speakers of the House, democratic Senate leaders, former democratic presidents, vice presidents, and other various ranking democratic leaders.

Now, lest you think I am rethinking my new Democratic registration, the Republicans have them too. They just have A LOT less. A lot less.

Well, on the democratic side, these people, these delegates of superhuman power, make up about 20% of the total delegate count at the convention this summer. So in theory, one could win only a third of all the vote, and still be the nominee, if such a person could convince all his/her colleagues to vote for him/her.

So, being that there were 90 people at my caucus and we elected 7 delegates, it took eleven of us to have the strength of one of these 'Super'delegates.

I always knew I was less of a man, but now I know why.

1 comment:

jason said...

i commend you for having the time, patience, gutspa, and sanity of mind to even follow politics, let alone being heavily informed. politics totally suck.