10.15.2007

I Hope They Win...



So, right now, it's the bottom of the sixth and the Rockies are up six to one thanks to a Holliday HR. I've always been a Rockies fan. "Yeah right" you say, "You're just jumping on the bandwagon."

Au contraire mon frere. My bedroom growing up was purple and black. I had a Colorado Rockies border lining my ceiling. I had hats, t-shirts, jackets, even a gold chain. I slept under purple sheets. PURPLE SHEETS! I may be the only straight man I know whose done so. I even have a picture of me in front of Coors Field when it was about halfway done. Been a fan since they came in the league.

All that being said, you are partly right. I'm more of the fan of the fairweather persuasion. But that's just because baseball is boring. What with all 162 games, who has time to keep up with it all? But the playoffs provide what the regular season is missing, namely meaning. In the playoffs, every game means something. It's why football is so popular. NASCAR tried it this year with the slogan that "Every Lap Counts". But come on, it counts towards one boring obsession with left hand turns and t-shirts without sleeves.

But now, these last few innings mean something. Speaking of which, I gotta go. Games on.

3 comments:

bill said...

well said. i love sports; do a good job of keeping up with who and where and what is going on; but i can't follow baseball until halfway through september. you're right, no meaning.

Betsy said...

remember when we lived in colorado?

The Anonymous Human said...

Despite many years of therapy...

...yes, I still remember.