5.01.2007

I Have Crossed Over...


Or maybe I was always on this side to begin with. Either way, I now know firmly where I stand.

When I was in grade school, I didn't even realize there was a separation. I lived within the tension of the two sides and didn't even notice the difference. I played trumpet in band and was on the basketball team. I was in Art Stretch and played football at recess. The line in the sand was a little blurry.

Then came junior high. At our Junior High, it was the combination of two elementary schools, which meant the first weeks were spent establishing the heirarchy. I did my best to bridge the gap again, but I slowly realized where the power lay. I quit band. I started working out. I did good enough in school to stay in the honors program, but not good enough to be the best. Still, though, I had my feet firmly planted in both camps.

This continued on throughout High School. I tutured the football players of which I was the captain of the team. I wrestled, but I ran track. Still straddling the line.

I remember growing up, wishing that it was all over. No, not my life, but the whole growing up thing. Stop getting hair in weird places. Stop having my voice crack at the most awkward moments in the world. I'm finally there. (well, I do still have the weird hair growth...)

Last night I think I was at my pinnacle. I was watching "Heroes" and at one point I literally jumped out of my chair and started cheering. I'm not sure when it was. But I have firmly lifted my foot from the 'cool' and am now fully residing in the 'nerd' camp.

You can go for the obvious joke here, it's okay. Or allow me, "You were never in the cool camp to begin with!" For all you jokers out there, allow me one last retort...

You just remember what camp you want to be in this weekend when you watch a guy in a spider suit fight crime with his super-spider abilities. Then I ask, "Which camp do you want to be in?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last nights episode was good. However, I cannot remember a point that was cheer worthy. And as far as shows to get geeked out over, HEROES still pales in comparison to 24 and LOST.

The Anonymous Human said...

See, I feel the sci-fi factor in lost pales in comparison to Heroes. And I think a macho guy could watch 24 and not be made fun of at the water cooler. And really? When silar turned his hands ice cold and peter shot flames out of his in what promises to be an epic battle one day, you didn't cheer?

Anonymous said...

No, perhaps that's why I like Lost better. What is so intriguing to me is character development. I spent the entire episode enamored with where the characters ended up and wondering how they got to that place. Plus, I have a hard time with time-travel shows/movies. Peter blows up the city, what you've done to change the past is part of the timeline, you're screwed. If Peter doesn't blow up NY in the end it will ruin the entire show for me.

Furthermore, I can never get physched for multi-colored power fighting. That was always the worst part of star wars movies. How do you really gage who wins? Where's the strategy? Why are the bad guys always red?

Betsy said...

you have to spell tutored right or the outlook's no good for the football team...

The Anonymous Human said...

Betsy,

I tutOred them in Math. You don't got to spell so good in Math.

Matt,

The bad guy in this case was blue. BOO-YA!!! And what are you talking about? They spent the first 15 episodes developing these characters. That's why I was so excited. All the frustrated nights of, "NOTHING'S HAPPENING!" finally paid off in glorious nerd on nerd action.

Jake

bill said...

wow. 5 comments. now 6. nice. i wish secret rapture would have left a note.