5.24.2007

Reality in Pearl Harbor...

May 23, 2007. A day which will live in infamy.

No, not because I went to the dentist for the first time in 10 years, though this is true (well, I did have my wisdom teeth removed about three years ago, but that was by an oral surgeon, not a dentist, but this was the first cleaning in 10 years). That is a horrifying experience in and of itself as the hygenist scrapes 10 years of plaque (isn't that a gross word?) and bacteria off my teeth and gums. But that's not why.

No, not because the dentist found 7 cavaties, which are the first of any I have ever had in my entire existence. Though yesterday before 8 was the last time I could honestly say (even though it was in ignorance) that I had never had any cavaties in my 27 year existence. But, low and behold, the good doc found seven of them bugars in my pearly yellows. For reasons I'm not surprised, see above.

No, not because I had my second interview in as many weeks and am 99% sure I am going to get the position, though that is true as of yesterday as well.

No, the reason yesterday will always be a momentous day in the history of Jake Keck is because of my entrance to reality and adulthood. You see, as I've mentioned before, I've always had a secret desire to be a rock star...or not so secret. This wasn't born of my awesome singing talent or my natural ability to rock the mic (which makes sense because I posses none of those). No, despite my lack of natural ability, I was still born with the gift of desiring to be worshipped by millions of adorable fans.

I mean adoring fans.........either way I guess.

Though this amazing gift was bestowed upon me, it somehow hasn't come to fruition. I tried my best. Got a tatoo. Had my tongue pierced. And my body has always been an object to be worshipped (wait....I mean my brother's body...)

I was even in a band.

But alas, as I lay in the death, er I mean, dentist chair, waiting to be examined, I had this thought:

"You know, I haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. And I've never been to this one. I don't want to hear about how bad for my teeth my tongue piercing is. Plus, I don't want it to screw up the x-rays. I'll take it out.

But if I take it out for that, I might as well leave it out for my interview. I want to make sure nothing holds me back and allows him to have a reason to not give me the job.

Oh man...should I just leave it out for good? How will anyone ever know I was supposed to be a rock star? Maybe that will never happ..."


And that's when reality set in. I reached inside my mouth and removed the shiny little post.

Single tear.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

reeeeeally? oh man. that's crazy. but i just made dentist appointments for bill and i yesterday. june 21st is the big day. i have at LEAST 3 cavities that i can see. and maybe one tooth that is pretty much abcessed (sp?). i haven't been in 4 years. and bill eats as much sugar as he possibly can and he probably won't have one. grrrr.

bill said...

dude. really? you need another tat.

...on your face.

Betsy said...

your mom let me and taylor use the convertible for a night out on the town. i just wanted to rub it in.

bill said...

betsy, do you know what jake drives?

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....that's for all the years of rubbing it in that I always was the one getting drilled on. Now it's your turn mister. Hey, isn't 7 a biblical number? Maybe God's trying to tell you something?