5.01.2006

May Day...

I'm not sure how I feel, really. It started with a sleepover I was at on Saturday. Well, it wasn't supposed to be a sleepover, but it sure seemed like one. We just finished our six mile walk where I feel like we raised a lot of publicity for the cause. Then we all gathered in the back parking lot of a church and wrote letters to our senators and the president. All fine and dandy. But listening to some of the conversations made me feel strange about a lot of things. First of all, almost everyone there was trashing the President about the war in Iraq. Now, of course, no one likes war. No one is really happy about the fact that we have young men and women dying daily. But, you know what, when the war started, I was all for it. So I don't feel like I have the right to all of the sudden change my position. As an American, I don't think I have the luxury. But of course, we were there to raise awareness about the situation in Uganda. So what do these people think were going ot happen? We were going to send a peace delegation to Uganda hoping the LRA will just lay down their arms because we are the U.S.? If the war is going to end in Uganda, it will take bloodshed. Some of theirs, some of ours. No one wants that, but some evils are better than others. That's how Rwanda ended. When one side won. It's not pretty. It's reality. And so today, thousands of illegal and legal aliens are on the march. And thousands and thousands of retarded bigots will scream "GO HOME MEXICANS!" then return to their home which was built by...yeah, you guessed it. This is our world people! Things are just going to change because we want them to. Because we do a march or because we write a letter. Get involved or shut up. I almost feel worse for going on the walk and sleepover then if I hadn't. I feel like I've associated with a bunch of whiners and feel goodies who think that we actually made a difference. No, the three guys who went to Uganda made a difference. Why? Because the sacrifice they made was real. But I simply have a sore back from the concrete. I know this is all a bunch of rambling, but what are we to do? How are we to feel? The reality is, our would is a messy place and we've been living with butlers and maids for too long that have been wiping our asses and telling us what good looking ones they are at that until we became too fat to move or care about anything but ourselves and where we were getting our next meal.

And I'm one of them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm wondering.

Why has World Vision distanced themselves from the Invisible Children Motorcade/Sleepover/
Concert/Education Program?

IC is just to draw attention to the problem, a problem of which most informed persons have been aware for some time.

A boomer::buster preacher's wife asked me today if IC promoters were active Christians or just Christian activists. I hate it when someone my mom's era has better vision than I do.

Sometimes we think we're so relevant and on the edge, we're just stupid yet embarrassingly well-fed. I'm staying anonymous because I'm feeling pretty sheepish.

bill said...

i agree with my wife (because doing so betters my chances of getting laid). did you achieve anything more than obtaining a bad back? i don't know. but you went. you did it. you cared. i think that is an achievement. caring takes effort. i want to care more about the less fortunate...but wanting to is pointless. unless i put forth the effort. which you did. thats a good thing. plus, you added one more to the overall number. it went 'one higher' didn't it? thats good.

truth is: we can't do anything politically that is immediately effective. our hands are tied and our voices are not heard. the best we can do is have a sleep over to try to get some attention. thats pathetic. but it is all we have. so i'm glad you did it.

The Anonymous Human said...

well, it did go to eleven...

The Anonymous Human said...

to anonymous above...sorry, i'm really stupid...what's the difference between an active christian and a christian activist...I'm guessing one is like pat robertson and the other is like...well, Jesus. Is that what you were getting at?

PS thanks for the comment

bill said...

also to anonymous above:

the preacher's wife's comment sounds like an incredibly baby-boomer thing to say.

how in the crap are we supposed to tell the difference between the two. especially when we don't even know these three guys. all we do know is that they really, really care about poor and dying little kids from uganda and are giving their lives to try and help them. she might call that activism. i call it Christianity.

The Anonymous Human said...

Well, maybe I misread your comment anonymous..I took it as meaning the IC promoters around the various towns. But if we are talking about the three dudes that shot the film...they didn't do because they are christians. i don't even know if they are to be honest. They were just three dudes trying to make a difference. I do agree that 'that' is a very 'christian' thing to do, but that doesn't mean that they are christians per say. I was actually told by the guy that showed me the dvd that they weren't. I think that's part of the problem I have. I walked with this one guy for a while that was started a ministry for students in the inner city of vegas. That's cool, but I feel like he started the conversation with me just to tell me that. That aside, he was like, isn't it amazing what God is doing through this. I think what he meant was what God could do with three guys that give their heart to them. I wanted to say, "These guys aren't even christians and they listen to God more than most of us do!" They did this on their own power (now I know nothing escapes the power of God) but just think what we, who profess to be christians, would do if we were more open. But my problem is I don't even know what that means, because I'm not conviced that it means and end to the war. For christians we should probably be more concerned about ending the ungodly epidemic that is going on. God did not promise us a life free of conflict and war. Our human nature will take care of that. But he did promise us life, here and now. That's what we as christians should be giving them, not necessarily and end to the war. How does a christian fight injustice? With justice not more injustice. What are we to do to those who slap us in the face? Give em the other cheeck to whack on too. But what does that mean for these kids? I DON'T KNOW.

bill said...

that is interesting. i heard from a couple people very close to these three guys that they were christians. i met one of them at a charity concert that was held at a christian venue. i guess it doesn't make IC more or less valid either way. the cause is still worthy because those kids are still suffering. but i'm pretty sure that the are christians.

whether or not they were baptized is another story.