5.01.2006

the best of Myspace...

A couple of months ago, I posted my first blog on my Myspace page. I thought to be complete that I would bring it over here. So, enjoy...

I just had a really interesting weekend. Two of my uncles came into town. I love those guys. They are so funny. We had a great time playing golf, watching movies, seeing the sights, and of course, playing poker. A couple of months ago, I had a chance to go back home to see the Colts play the Steelers in Indy. While I was there, we took the time time to go see my Mamaw and Papaw. My Mamaw was all upset about a letter that she had recieved from one of her sons. Basically, the letter said how he rejected everything he had been taught about God and Christ and that it was just impossible for him to believe it anymore. Well, the son that wrote that letter was one of my uncles in town visiting. I had been looking forward for them coming to visit for many reasons, but one of which was hoping for the chance to get into a discussion with Him about what he believes. He basically said that he believes there is a God, but that God doesn't care about us. He created us, and now, he's left us alone. We had a great conversation. I really enjoy talking with people who are more intelligent than myself, and this was no exception. He really made me think. One of the things he said was, "if you were born in the middle of Iran, would you be a Christian?" I just think it's a really good point. I wonder how many of us believe what we believe just because it's what's popular. Just because we were born in America. That bothers me. I told him that even if the God who created us doesn't care about us, that he deserves our worship just for creating us. That he deserves to have our lives just because of who he is. Then I think we got to the real issue for both of us. I said how I was tired of churches saying they care about people, but really meaning that they care about people's money. I told him I couldn't justify working at a church and getting paid. I said that I think Jesus cared a lot more for the poor and elderly and outcasts and rebels and homeless and diseased then we do. He said if I really believed that, then I wouldn't be building houses in las vegas. WHAMMY!!! Problem is, he's right. So the question is: Do I really believe that or not? Or maybe: Do I believe that, but decide that my life is more important than giving it to Jesus? Either way, I'm not sure that I like the answer I arrive at. This really puts baggage on my soul. Baggage for a destination unknown.

No comments: