8.05.2008

Great Article...

My fellow blogger Dustin posted a great article his lead pastor wrote about multi-venue churches. You can read the article here.

My mom and I were just talking about this issue yesterday. I'm all for new and inventive ways of sharing the gospel. I'm all for church planting. But something has always rubbed me wrong about the multi-site video venue.

There is a church in town that does it and I was speaking with one of the pastors who works there a couple of months ago. He was lamenting how they were having a difficult time getting people to want to be involved. It struck me as odd that they hadn't thought of this before. I would think that would be one of the first things you would plan on when you invite people into a room to watch tv.

I really like the attitude of the pastor and that the whole point of this church thing isn't to create a following, but to create a community of people building one another up.

Is there anyone out there at a wildly successful video venue site? What challenges did you have to overcome? Is it still the way that you would decide to go?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think The Village church in DFW is launching a video venue soon. Doesn't seem like their style. I wonder how it will do.

matt said...

Josh,

Each week the Village turns away hundreds of people becuase they either:

a) don't have space for their kids
b) don't have seating

People are coming to hear Chandler who don't know Jesus. Should we tell them that they need to go to the local church plant down the street? If we did, do you think they would go? Do you think they would hear the gospel if they didn't go?