8.29.2008

The Adventure Begins...

(I wrote the following blog the night we found out I had knocked up the girl with the green eyes. I saved it to my other blog because I couldn't post it here quite yet. But I had to do something. So, here is the first blog in the life of my baby.)

It's Monday, January 21st.

It's 10:53 pm and though I didn't get much sleep last night, I'm wide awake.

The girl with the green eyes expected two words, but somehow, I knew there would only be one. One little word that will forever change my life.

Pregnant.

I don't believe I will ever forget that moment. She peed into a cup and then I dipped the little stick in. She had wanted to take it by herself earlier in the day, but I wouldn't let her. For once, I'm glad she listened to me. We both crouched over the counter in our spare bath and watched a little hourglass blink. The package said it would take three minutes, but she must be REALLY knocked up because it seemed to only be about thirty seconds.

It cut her off mid-sentence, as if to say there is nothing you will ever say again that will be more important than me.

Pregnant.

We hugged. We kissed and said I love you. We took a couple pictures with the test.

Pregnant.

Then, in a surprising moment of spiritual clarity, I grabbed the girl with the green eyes' hand and we knelt at the end of our bed.

I told God he could have it.

I praised Him for His generosity. I wept at His mercy. I laughed at His timing.

The thing is probably about the size of my pinky and I'm already envisioning the people he will lead or the beauty she will display.

This is my child.

And that is why I lie awake on an otherwise ordinary Monday night.

Because nothing will ever be ordinary again.

No comments: