3.22.2007

I Should Blog More Offen...

Did you know that the 't' in 'often' is silent? In the words of Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." Seriously. Maybe I'm the last one on the planet that didn't know that, but the correct pronunciation of the word 'often' sounds like 'offen'. Look it up.

Have you ever had that happen to you? When something in your world you believed in with all your heart was found to be false. Maybe it wasn't even something earth shattering, like the anunciation of a word. Maybe it's something very profound. In either case, it feels like the life you've lived seemed veiled or incomplete, and now the curtain has been torn and you are viewing life a bit more raw now.

I think that I am really selfish. I know we all that have bit of "I'm number one"-itus, but I think mines a bit deeper than that. I was walking through Vons the other day and I thought, "I should get my wife something." Now, I know the Supermarket isn't the most romantic place to go shopping for your wife, but I thought, what the hey? So I went to the cards and looked a few, until I got a phone call that distracted me. After the phone call, I decided that I was hungry, so I went to Cold Stone and got myself an ice cream (nutritious and delicious). It wasn't really until this moment that I realized I never got anything for the girl with the green eyes.

I think I need to work on that. I would really like to love my wife as she deserves. I was reading in John 3 the other day and when John the Baptist says, "He must become greater, and I must become less," it just cuts to my heart. I think that line could apply in all our relationships, not just the one with Christ, though it certainly applies there as well. My wife needs to become greater and greater in my thoughts and actions, and my wants and desires need to become less and less. I think if I can start to do that, my selfishness won't pop up so offen.

1 comment:

bill said...

seriously. preach.