6.16.2006

My Spiritual Life is Like a Football Game...

When I was in the eighth grade, I was the second string quarterback for our football team. No matter how hard I tried, I just wasn't as good as the number one quarterback (granted he had been held back a year, so he was a year ahead of me...). Playing time was few and far between. Until my momment came.

We were playing one of our county rivals, Western (the other two county schools were named Eastern and Northwestern. Clever, I know). The score was tied and the clock was winding down. We got the ball from a punt and began driving down the field. We get to the one yard line and all of the sudden, I hear my named called. I jumped up off the bench next to the water cooler (as was my customary spot) and ran up to the coach. Seems first stringer Manboy had some sort of equipment problem. Probably because his head was too big for the helment. Anywho, the coach gave me a play and sent me in.

I was nervous.

But, the play was simple. Snap the ball, turn to my left, pitch the ball to the running back.

'Snap the ball, turn to my left, pitch the ball to the running back. Snap the ball, turn to my left, pitch the ball to the running back. Snap the ball...' I repeated to myself over and over.

I approach the line.

"Blue fourteen, blue fourteen. Set. Hut."

The ball is snapped. I turn to my left. I raise my arms to pitch the ball to the running back.

Problem.

Somehow in the excitement of snapping the ball and turning to my left, I had mistaken empty air for a football. I turned around to see the ball lying peacefully just behind my center's big butt.

Instinctively I reached for the ball. Once it was safe in my arms I closed my eyes and headed for the promise land. Soon the pressure of other eighth grade bodies pressing down on me was all I could feel. The wistle blew and slowly, the release of pressure began. I opened my eyes to see the official raising his two hands.

TOUCHDOWN!

After that play, I proudly trotted back to the end of the bench.

I really can't remember if we won that game or not. That might've been only one of many touchdowns scored that night. But for me, it was the only one that counted.

I think God's work is a lot like that game. We aren't always going to be on the front lines. Most of the time, we're probably going to be on the sidelines while God uses others to do his work. I just think that when the time does come, and he calls your name, that it's important we remember what we've learned. Sometimes we're going to drop the ball, but if we'll pick it up and head for the goal, somehow, things always end up okay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean on the sidelines? I don't know if God intended anyone on the sidelines. I think maybe we put ourselves on the sideline for one reason or another. Perhaps we aren't courageous enough or maybe we aren't experienced enough to understand we are in the game. I don't know, but I think God intended everyone to be in the game, we just choose not too and so He finds those that are willing. Love ya, bro.

The Anonymous Human said...

By the sidelines I mean this: Most people don't have the priviledge of going to work everyday and doing church. Most people have jobs that consume 75-80% of their waking day. During those times, it's a bit like being on the sidelines. You just do your job and whatever. But between those times, there will be momments when God calls you to do something. It may be having a conversation with a co-worker, or the way you treat a particularly pissed off customer, or whatever. But there will be times when the Spirit invades your life and all of the sudden you have been given the ball. Then it will be up to you. You've just been called into the game.

bill said...

first off...funny story.

but seriously, who benches a keck??

anyhoo, that is an interesting point of view. as someone who does work in a church, we tell our people to do whatever they do to the glory of God 100% of the time. but outside of wearing a "the end is near" sandwich board to work...how does someone who hammers nails or files papers or whatever all day long do that?? i could see where the point is that whatever you are doing you are to be on God's team and eventually you will get the ball (in the ways you mentioned in the previous post).

now even in the times when you are not 'in the game' in such obvious ways...as joey was saying...you are still in the game. maybe your job is blocking and not scoring...but you are still in the game. but you would say, "it really doesn't feel that way. it feels like the sidelines. now, i'm going to do what i do on the sidelines in a manner that honors the team and the coach...but honestly, it is more like the sidelines."

i know i'm putting words in everyones mouth...but that seems to be the difference between what the keck brothers (the original recipe, white meat keck brothers) are saying.

i'm okay with both view points. its just a metaphor and its impossible for me to know what it is like to have to do something other than leave butt-long comments on other people's blogs all day for a living. so i can't disagree.

but to get back to the point...honestly, someone explain to me...who benches a keck?!

The Anonymous Human said...

Exactly.

So people (JOEY) stop over analyzing my stories. Their my stories and I can make God speak to me however the heck I want him to.

Just kidding. It was a metaphor. I don't think life is one big football game. I just mean that sometimes it seems God works this way. And if he does, well then we'd have to think he was a peyton manning fan, because peyton manning is Jesus.

As for benching a keck...we'll you'll notice that four years later the same keck led the taylor titans to the first ever conference championship. What kind of coach benches a Keck? Obviously one that doesn't like winning.