6.07.2006

The Mob and Egg Sandwiches

It's funny the memories that come back to you.

A few years ago, there were four of us that would meet weekly to become better men. Sometimes it would be to play ball, play video games, or just talk. Most of the time, there was a book we were going through that would spur our conversation.

I remember one morning when we got together we were hungry, so Mark suggested going to Salvinos. I'd never been there before, but I remembered one time having a bite of Mark's sandwich that he had brought home from there, so I was down.

We drove down Boulder Highway to this corner shop in a run down strip mall. To be honest, I was a little leary of eating anything coming out of this hole. But we walk in and we were instantly transported to New York. On the wall opposite the door there was this giant poster/wallpaper of the city skyline. There were sausages and other various meats hanging behind the counter. Uncle Guido was sitting in the corner smoking his cigar playing checkers with himself. If the Mob is still running Las Vegas, this is where they eat.

We get our egg sandwiches and fried potatoes and sit down at the one table in the shop. Pretty soon Uncle Joey and Uncle Frank come through the front door.

"Hey Sal," they yell to the guy behind the counter.

"Hey Joey, Hey Frank" yells Sal.

I was loving it. I've never watched the Sopranos, but I've seen Good Fellas enough to know they just came back from whacking a guy. Probably buried him in the desert. That's what I would do.

Uncle Guido asked us what book we were talking about. At that time it was "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge.

"You guyz are Christians?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said.

"I'm Catholic". He said.

Go figure.

He then proceded to tells us how much he loved the virgin Mary and how she watched over him and how often he prayed to her. He showed me the virgin Mary tatoo on his shoulder. He showed me the virgin Mary medallion around his neck.

"You ever prayed to Mary?" he asks me.

Now, I've never prayed to Mary before in my life. Still haven't.

"Sure." I said.

"Yeah. She's great." He says.

With that we finished our sandwiches and left. I don't know why I remembered that this morning. But I'm glad I did.

No comments: