4.20.2006

When Baptism Isn't Enough...

I recently came accross this article on Christians and global warming. Apparently some Christians actually believe that if you care about the earth, you're going to hell! Crazy! I think this Joel Hunter makes some sense. I especially like when he talks about working with corporations who have worked with Planned Parenthood in the past. I seem to be noticing a trend of Christians who are tired of the rote Christianity that has been handed them. Like if you are a Christian then you are a republican who hates gays and stem cell research. Now, don't get me wrong. I think there are times to say wrong is wrong. But for too long, I think we've expected too much of non-christians and not enough of Christians. How could Christianity not be leading the charge against global warming? Some have argued that global warming doesn't even exist. That it is something 'science' is making up. Even if that is true, shouldn't we above all people still lead the charge to PREVENT it? Of all people we should be the most grateful for this giant playground that he has given us. My wife and I recently took our dog Athena for a road trip. About 20 minutes outside of Vegas is Red Rock National Conservation Area. I was wowed by the beauty of this place. To think that God created that millions of years ago knowing that someday I would take my out of shape body and try and climb up places I have no business attempting. It was wonderful. So, even if it's selfish. Even if it has nothing to do with obeying his command to take care of the earth, shouldn't we just do it because it's cool to see the Grand Canyon and swim in the Pacific?

tah

No comments: