1.04.2009

Real Teams Can Gain Two Yards...

Doyle Brunson, the famed poker player, is known to say the worst day of the year is the day you get knocked out of the main event at the World Series of Poker. I agree with the sentiment but disagree on the day. No, for me, the worst day of the year is when my beloved Colts are knocked out of title contention. All in all, I can't complain too much as they gave me a better year than I was expecting 7 weeks into the season. I was able to see them live twice and they won both times (though I would've traded the San Diego victory I witnessed for one yesterday!)

My biggest disappoinment isn't in our defense. It isn't even in the horrible, horrible, horrible (did I mention horrible?) penalty for defensive holding that gift wrapped the victory for the Chargers. No, my number 1 disappoinment is that we had a third and 2 with 2:00 left on the clock. Two yards and we seal a 14 - 17 victory. Two yards.

I understand our bread and butter. I get that we are a pass first, second and third and run fourth kind of team. I get it. But to clear the backfield when all you need is two measly yards. Six feet. No play action? No QB sneak? No "give it all you got for the playoffs" push from the front five?

Nope.

Well, that's what you get when you live by the pass. Sometimes you get sacked.

Thanks for the season, my little horses. I'll be there next year. Maybe this time we will beat those bolts when it counts.

No comments: