12.19.2008

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas...


As many of you have probably heard, we had quite the snow storm on Wednesday night. So much so, that the girl with the green eyes had a snow day! First time in about 30 years that Las Vegas has had a snow day. Insane!

Seeing the snow made me all the more excited for my trip home in a couple of weeks. I'm really excited to see both sets of grandparents which means Chloe will see her greatgrandparents for the first time ever. As a side note, Chloe has a Greatgreatgrandma that is still alive. She is 108 years old.

Anywho, all this white stuff has me in the Christmas mood. Probably the thing I love most about Christmas time is the music. Some of my favorite memories are sitting in the pew at my church listening to the old ladies sing the wonderful christmas songs. So, in honor of my fellow blogger Dustin and his endless supply of top ten lists, I am listing my top ten favorite christmas songs of all time.

Now, I'm not saying that these are the top ten best christmas songs. I'm saying MY top ten favorite songs. Why? So that there is no debate. This is my blog and I make the rules.

#10 - Go, Tell It On The Mountain

When I was a kid, I loved this song, but we never sang it at church. I remember telling my mom that I loved this song but we never sing it. She said she would see what she could do about it. The next sunday we sang it. I guess that's the kinda pull you got when you're sleeping with the preacher...

#9 - White Christmas

I know this isn't a religious song, but this is one of those songs you like to sing in the shower like Elvis.

#8 - Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer

I know this is a very childish song, but remember when you were a kid and would sing it and add all those other parts ("like monopoly")? Good memories.

#7 - The Christmas Song

I mean, come on! It's The Christmas Song! Plus, whenever I hear it I think about...

"Chestnuts roasting...
"COLLINS!"
"I'm downstairs"
"HEY"
"Roger picked up the phone?"
"No it's me!"
"Throw down the key!"
"A wild night is now pre-ordained..."

(If you don't follow, get a little more culture...)

#6 - All I Want For Christmas

This song always makes me think of the movie Love Actually. A lot of people don't like this movie, or don't consider it a christmas movie, but I do. And like I said, on this blog, I make the rules.

#5 - Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song)

I especially like Jessica Simpson's version of this. A very dynamic and powerful song.

#4 - Mary, Did You Know?

There was a version of this song done by Micheal English that I try to impersonate everytime I sing it. My favorite line of this song is:

"Mary did you know that your baby boy has walked where angel's trod?
And when you kissed your little baby, you kissed the face of God?"


#3 - I'll be Home For Christmas

Everyone wants to be home for christmas. Wherever home is.

#2 - Hark the Herold Angels Sing

My second favorite lyrics of the christmas season:

"Hail, the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings,
Ris'n with healing in His wings.
Mild he lays His glory by.
Born that man no more may die.
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth."


#1 - O Holy Night.

By far my favorite christmas song. The vocal range necessary to sing this one correctly automatically eliminates 95% of people from singing this song. I have a favorite christmas memory that involves my grandma singing this song with her powerful voice in a tiny little church in Michigan. I will remember that for the rest of my life. My favorite line:

"Long lay the world, in sin and error pining,
Till He appeared, and the soul felt its worth."


Do you have any favorites I've left off this list?

SUPER SEXY UPDATE: I may have a new favorite

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, i barely got past "go tell it on the mountain" because i am hearing you sing it in my mind and laughing a little bit, because i know you would really mean it while singing it.

good list. i think love actually is a christmas movie too. because it is.

i love every song on the nsync christmas album, i admit it.

sufjan's christmas cds are wonderful, with songs like "come on! let's boogey to the elf dance!" and "did i make you cry on christmas? well you deserved it." you can't go wrong. i especially like where he talks about his sister's bangs (she cut them herself) and calls santa clause a "bad brother breaking into people's garages". but in addition to these, he does some classics like only he can do.

looooong comment.

Mrs. Jake said...

And you're also excited to see your sister and her wonderful family too, right?

I'm jealous about the snow.

Favorite Christmas songs?
Breath of Heaven - Amy Grant version. Jessica is...I can't stand the way she sings...are you sure it's her voice and not her (clears throat)?

Silent night - is my Christmas so peaceful?

We three kings - I think it's the music more than the actual words

Wizards of Winter (the one that the guy lit his house up to - that's just cool!)

Any Harry Connick Jr. Christmas song.
- Christmas prayer and Sleigh Ride especially

O Holy Night - Grandma style. We just sat down a couple of weeks ago and watched home movies at mom and dads. We watched Grandma sing and mom and Cindi play their violin and viola. It was beautiful. Mom cried.

I'll be home for Christmas... Having a soldier boy now brings new light to these words. He's not been gone over the holidays - thank you God! But it sheds new light to those that are giving up so much personally for this country.


We wish you a merry Christmas (all 20 verses) Only because it brings back the memories of Mamaw's house. So full of chaos and love. Sigh...were did the time go bubs?

I can't wait to see you and Candice and hold my dear little one!

I love you!

The Anonymous Human said...

Betsy,

I have to admit that the *NSYNC version of "O Holy Night" is my favorite ever. I'm not secure enough in my masculinity to admit it on my blog, but I'll reveal it here because, honestly, who reads my comments anyway! Seriously, I'll start playing that song the first week of October.

Carrie,

Who has these home movies? I will need a copy of that. That is something that needs to be preserved on DVD for future generations. It would probably make me cry too. We had a good growing up. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I love you too and I can't wait to see my grown up nieces!!!!

Quickbooks Expert said...

Nice Blog ! If you need instant help, you can contact us at our Quickbooks Support Phone Number 800-986-4607. We provide solutions for every of quickbooks versions. We have QuickBooks experts who have years of experience and knowledge and delivers the best solutions to you.

Quickbooks Expert said...

Connect to us at Quickbooks for Mac Support Phone Number 1-800-986-4607 for any QuickBook assistance. We deliver support services to a wide range of clients. We're accessible to you 24*7. Feel Free to reach us whenever you need it.