8.02.2006

How Many Hail Mary's Is This Worth?

I was reading my Bible today and came across this. I know we've all heard the last part of that before. We've seen it on athlete's shoes, on signs at ball games, lots of places. But when you read it in context, I think we find it's not about God helping us to make the free throw, or catch the touchdown pass.

I think it's a little more deeper than that.

I often find myself frustrated in my job. It's long hours, complicated, hot, and I deal with construction people all day long. I often go home wiped out and just ready to crash. It's just not what I want to do with my life.

Then I'm reminded of this verse. Being content in ALL circumstances.

I got a call the other day from a former customer of mine. He said he was creating a position for his company and thought of me. Thought I'd be a good fit.

I was pumped. I still am. I was thinking as I was driving back to my site from lunch how it would just be perfect. It deals with the quality assurance side of homebuilding. I thought, "God, I can see your hand in this. I can see the experiences you've given me and how you've prepared me for this. Finally, a job I can be content with."

It was in that momment, when I prayed that word content, that I felt the Spirit speak.

"What if it's not for you, can you still feel me leading you?"

I almost had to pull over.

God forgive me when I put other things in front of you thinking it will bring me happiness. God forgive me when I look for contentment in everything but you.

With you, I am content. With my job, with my life, with my marriage, with everything. Not because you make those things better, but because you are better than those things.

No comments: