8.10.2006

Gotta Be Numero Uno...

So I find this really interesting. I'm going to venture a guess that we are the only nation in the world that ranks our churches. I know, I know, this is a ranking of the most "influential" or whatever. Let's just say it...

'BEST.' There, we said it.

What we really mean are these are the best churches. Is this what we are to strive for? Maybe in our western civilization there is no way around a competitive attitude. I know every preacher on the list is just happy to be recognized (and I'm sure they are all very godly men) but you can't tell me ol' Ricky Warren is happy at number two. Somewhere inside that cat is a tiger wanting to be number one.

I'm not making fun of these churches. God knows I will never hold a candle next to these guys. I'm making fun of the ranking system. What is 'influence' anyways. I know the maxwellians out there will let me know that leadership=influence. So great. These churches have the largest number of leaders out there.

Congratulations. Here's your prize. A lifetime supply of John Maxwell books and free addmission to the Willow Creek Leadership Summit.

Anywho, along with leaders, I hope these people are having an influence on their poor, widowed, hungry, and homeless. That, I think would make everyone's top fifty.

1 comment:

bill said...

yeah...i'm sure warren would like to be number 2.

but hey, i hear willow has a tough schedule this year. they have to start the season by going into atlanta to face #3 ranked north point and the following week play #7 Lakewood on the road. and i hear Lakewood is under-rated this year. olsteen is up for the cheistman and their eldership has 5 returning starters. so we'll see. i wouldn't be surprised to see willow start the year with at least one loss. but watch out for number #13 Mars Hill too. they are ranked way low and have a cakewalk schedule. a lot of experts have them going all undefeated. i know corso picked them to go all the way. we'll see.

by the way: i also have the utmost respect for these men. they have done and are doing amazing things for the Kingdom of God. but i'm with you...what in the heck is the good of ranking? how do you do it? and why do it?

Go CCC!!!(#13)
Push em back, push em back
Waaaay back!